A political and satyrical history of the years 1756 and 1757 in a series of seventy-five humorous and entertaining prints : containing all the most remarkable transactions, characters and caricaturas of those two memorable years : to which is annexed, an explanatory account or key to every print, which renders the whole full and significant.
- The second edition.
- London : Printed for E. Morris ..., 
15,  p., , 75 leaves of plates : ill. ; 14 cm (16mo)
- h.e- tahe e.r- mear (3) 1759 (Q)
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1714-1760 -- Early works to 1800.
Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
Great Britain -- History, Comic, satirical, etc. -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- "First published in [1758?] as 'A political and satirical history of the years 1756 and 1757'. Contains reduced copies of large plates, as well as small original designs."--ESTC.
Imprint date from ESTC.
Engraved plates, many published by Darly and Edwards in 1756 and 1757 and most advertised to be sold at the Acorn facing Hungerford Market in the Strand, London.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Julia B. Leisenring Book Fund.
RBC copy imperfect: leaf A8, frontispiece plate and plates 74-75 wanting (plate 73, with plate number effaced, bound in place of frontispiece).
RBC copy purchased for the Penn Libraries in 2017 from Christopher Edwards Antiquarian Books & Manuscripts.
RBC copy has small round blind stamp with monogram of William Makepeace Thackeray at head of title leaf; ms. note ("From W.M. Thackeray's Library. Vide stamp on title.") at head of front pastedown.
RBC copy has partially illegible dated 19th-century autograph ("[...]a[...]k W Sykes 1831.") on front pastedown.
RBC copy has bookplate of Henry Davies affixed to front pastedown.
RBC copy has paper slip with bookseller's printed description of this copy affixed to front pastedown.
RBC copy: left board, frontispiece and leaves A1-A7 detached; tear in plate 61.
- Penn Provenance:
- Thackeray, William Makepeace, 1811-1863 (stamp) (RBC copy).
Davies, Henry (bookplate) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC N11938
- Darly, Matthias, approximately 1720-approximately 1778.
Edwards, George, 1694-1773.
Julia B. Leisenring Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|