Captain Cook and the Pacific : art, exploration & empire / John McAleer and Nigel Rigby.
- Other Title:
- Captain Cook and the Pacific : art, exploration and empire
- New Haven : Yale University Press ; Greenwich : National Maritime Museum, 2017.
256 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 26 cm
- Cook, James, 1728-1779.
National Maritime Museum (Great Britain).
Oceania -- Discovery and exploration -- British.
Material culture -- Social aspects.
Discovery and exploration, British.
- British Royal Navy Captain James Cook's voyages of exploration across and around the Pacific Ocean were a marvel of maritime achievement, and provided the first accurate map of the Pacific. The expeditions answered key scientific, economic, and geographic questions, and inspired some of the most influential images of the Pacific made by Europeans. Now readers can immerse themselves in the adventure through the collections of London's National Maritime Museum, which illuminate every aspect of the voyages: oil paintings of lush landscapes, scientific and navigational instruments, ship plans, globes, charts and maps, rare books and manuscripts, coins and medals, ethnographic material, and personal effects. Each artifact holds a story that sheds light on Captain Cook, the crews he commanded, and the effort's impact on world history. Showcasing one of the richest resources of Cook-related material in the world, this publication invites readers to engage with the extraordinary voyages-manifested in material culture-and their continuing significance today.00Exhibition: National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, UK (opens autumn 2018).
- James Cook, the Royal Navy and his three voyages of exploration
The advancement of science and the increase of knowledge : charting the Pacific and enlightenment science
Cook's Pacific : explorations and encounter in the Pacific
Visualizing the Pacific : art, landscape and exploration in the Pacific
Exhibiting the Pacific : collecting, recording and display
'Men of Captain Cook' : Pacific voyages 1785-1803
The strange afterlives of Captain Cook : representations and commemorations
Cook on display : the National Maritime Museum's Cook galleries and exhibitions, 1937-2000.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Rigby, Nigel, author.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|