Higher education in austerity Europe / edited by Jon Nixon.
- London : Bloomsbury Academic, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2017. , ©2017
xviii, 231 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Education, Higher -- Economic aspects -- Europe.
Higher education and state -- Europe.
Education, Higher -- Economic aspects.
Higher education and state.
Europe -- Economic conditions -- 21st century.
- Text in English.
- The financial crisis of 2007/2008 prompted governments across Europe to adopt austerity measures aimed at the reduction of their escalating budget deficits. Higher Education in Austerity Europe explores how the resulting cuts in public expenditure - together with the increasing reliance on the privatisation of services - have impacted on higher education directly through the reduction of public sector provision and indirectly as a result of the social and political consequences of that reduction. Moreover, it explores how the effects of these economic policies have differed markedly across the national regions of Europe, with the result that inequality has increased significantly both within and between national regions, and this, in turn, has led to social and political dislocation within and across communities. It is only by viewing higher education within this broader context that we can begin to understand the full implications of the austerity measures introduced over the last ten years. Jon Nixon draws together leading scholars to delve into the complexity of impact and response generated by these measures. Part 1 focuses on cross-European perspectives; Part 2 on the impact of austerity measures within national systems; and Part 3 on new perspectives and possibilities. The volume also includes considered responses from 'outsiders' by academics located in Asia, Australia, and the USA, providing an additional dimension to the analysis.
- Introduction : thinking within, against and beyond austerity / Jon Nixon
Higher education, welfare states and austerity : pressures on competing public institutions / Marek Kwiek
Crises, collisions and sectoral defence : the European governance of education policy / Ase Gornitzka
"Calculemus" : complex games of standardization in higher education / Paolo Landri, Rosaria Lumino and Roberto Serpieri
Budgetary constraints and international aspirations : higher education in Poland / Dorota Dakowska
From neoliberalism to austerity : compounded inequalities in Croatian higher education / Danijela Dolenec
Hollow enterprise : austerity Ireland and the neoliberal university / Marnie Holborow and John O'Sullivan
A lost generation : Greek political turbulence and its aftermath / Daphne Kyriaki-Manessi
Austerity in disguise : attempts at reshaping Lithuanian higher education / Almantas Samalavicius
The politics of austerity and entrepreneurialism : reflections on the role of the humanities / Ari-Elmeri Hyvanen and Esko Harni
Advocating for excellence : stepping beyond austerity / Nicole Rege Colet
Towards a new epistemic order : higher education after neoliberalism / Ourania Filippakou
Reflections : from the outside looking in / Tanya Fitzgerald, Manja Klemencic and Jae Park
Coda / Jon Nixon.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the James Hosmer Penniman Book Fund.
- Nixon, Jon, editor.
James Hosmer Penniman Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|