Islands in a global context : Proceedings of the seventh international conference on Insular art, held at the National University of Ireland, Galway, 16-20 July 2014 / Conor Newman, Mags Mannion and Fiona Gavin, editors.
- Dublin : Four Courts Press, 
- Conference Name:
- International Conference on Insular Art (7th : 2014 : National University of Ireland, Galway), creator.
xviii, 282 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 29 cm
- Art, Irish -- Congresses.
Art, Medieval -- Ireland -- Congresses.
Art, Medieval -- Great Britain -- Congresses.
Art and Design.
- Conference papers and proceedings.
- Essays from over forty leading experts on Insular art c. AD 400-1500, across all media including stone, vellum, cloth, metal and glass. Along with its customary focus on art of the Insular world of Britain and Ireland, the papers also consider the contemporary European and Mediterranean background and context of Insular art, under the headings of motif, theme, symbol, transmission, translation and scholarship. Offering new perspectives on familiar objects and introducing new finds, like the other volumes in the series, this lavishly illustrated book is a must for all serious students of Insular art.
- The programme of illumination in the Insular Gospel books / Dominique Barbet-Massin
Bejewelling Jerusalem: architectural adornment and symbolic significance in the early Church in the Christian West / Meg Boulton
Psalm 21 and the beasts of the Ardagh Chalice / Michael Clarke
Sacred geometry and the five books of the Codex Amiatinus Maiestas Domini / Peter Darby
Early medieval stone sculpture in Italy: historical and archaeological questions / Eleonora Destefanis
Making manuscripts: the St Matthew page in St Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 1395 / Carol Farr
The Ennabeuren Reliquary Casket: reckoning on redemption / Anna Gannon
Sun of Understanding: the iconographic programme of Iona's free-standing crosses / Tasha Gefreh
Wandering churches: Insular house-shaped shrines and the Temple of Jerusalem / Samuel Gerace
The crowning glory of Insular art / Jennifer Gleeson
The transformative nature of stone: early medieval sculpture of the Insular world and the 'graven image' / Jane Hawkes
Built upon tradition: setting the stage for the evolution of Insular art / Melissa Herman
Maria Regina: a Continental motif on the Irish high crosses? / Hayley Humphrey
Adam's skull, Christ and Golgotha in Pictish art / Michael King
The et-ligature in the Book of Kells: revealing the 'calligraphic imagination' of its great scribe / Donncha MacGabhann
Symbolism, performance and colour: the use of glass beads in early medieval Ireland / Mags Mannion
The Book of Mulling (Trinity College Dublin MS 60): bindings and 'blurrings' / Bernard Meehan
Insular crosiers: an independent tradition? / Griffin Murray
Wayfaring strangers: a case study in island identity in Insular metalwork / Carol Neuman de Vegvar
The Book of Kells: unfinished business / Roger Stalley
Morphogenesis of the Lough Kinale Book Shrine, front face / Robert D. Stevick
The fiercest of kings: warriors at the edge of empire / Heidi Stoner
David composing the Psalms on Irish monumental sculpture / Colleen M. Thomas
Osiris once again: a pharaonic motif on Irish high crosses / Kees Veelenturf
The kerbschnitt technique on the Ardagh Chalice / Stephen Walker
The iconography of the Ardagh Chalice / Niamh Whitfield
With book and cross: a reading of the sculptural assemblage from Stonegrave, Ryedale, North Yorkshire / Victoria Whitworth
From island to island and beyond: workshop practices and the cultural roots of fine metalwork in the eighth century / Susan Youngs.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Lawrence H. Herring Memorial Fund.
- Newman, Conor, editor.
Mannion, Mags, editor.
Gavin, Fiona (Archaeologist), editor.
Lawrence H. Herring Memorial Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|