Archives, objects, places and landscapes : multidisciplinary approaches to decolonised Zimbabwean pasts / edited by Munyaradzi Manyanga and Shadreck Chirikure.
- Bamenda, Cameroon : Langaa Research & Publishing CIG, 2017.
- [Oxford, England] : Distributed in and outside N. America by African Books Collective.
xxx, 468 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Archaeology -- Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe -- Antiquities.
Zimbabwe -- Historiography.
Excavations (Archaeology) -- Zimbabwe.
- "Dissatisfaction has matured in Africa and elsewhere around the fact that often, the dominant frameworks for interpreting the continent's past are not rooted on the continent's value system and philosophy. This creates knowledge that does not make sense especially to local communities. The big question therefore is can Africans develop theories that can contribute towards the interpretation of the African past, using their own experiences? Framed within a concept revision substrate, the collection of papers in this thought provoking volume argues for concept revision as a step towards decolonizing knowledge in the post-colony. The various papers powerfully expose that 'cleansed' knowledge is not only locally relevant: it is also locally accessible and globally understandable."-- Back cover
- 1. Archives, objects, places and landscapes : the multidisciplinary and decolonising imperative / Munyaradzi Manyanga and Shadreck Chirikure
2. Concept and knowledge revision in the post-colony : mukwerera, the practice of asking for rain amongst the Shona of Southern Africa / Shadreck Chirikure, Robert T. Nyamushosho, Herbert H. Chimhundu, Collet Dandara, Hamutyinei. H. Pamburai and Munyaradzi Manyanga
3. The Later Stone Age of the Murewa-Mutoko area, northern Zimbabwe / Happinos Marufu
4. Functional analysis of Middle Stone Age lithic material from Redcliff Cave, central Zimbabwe / Precious Chiwara, Joseph Chikumbirike and Ancila Nhamo
5. Necks on the rocks : the giraffe in the rock art of Jahunda / Comfort Simbarashe Muringaniza and Munyaradzi Manyanga
6. Chronology of early farming communities of northern Zimbabwe : a reappraisal / Seke Katsamudanga and Gilbert Pwiti
7. Ndongo : a Zimbabwe culture site in the middle Save valley / Plan Shenjere-Nyabezi
8. The Mutapa and the Portuguese : archaeometallurgy and regional interactions in Southern Africa / Shadreck Chirikure, Thomas Panganayi Thondhlana, Marcos MartinoÌn-Torres and Thilo Rehren
9. Material culture of fluid identities : towards an historical archaeology of the Gaza Nguni in eastern Zimbabwe / Tendai Musindo, Russell Kapumha and Joseph Mujere
10. Prehistoric food storage and security in Zimbabwe : a look at nineteenth-century grain bins in Southern Zimbabwe / Marlvern Mabgwe and Munyaradzi Manyanga
11. Aspects of consumption and symbolism : a ceramic ethnoarchaeological study of ritual vessels among the Saunyama of north-eastern Zimbabwe / Robert T. Nyamushosho
12. Precolonial hunting in Southern Africa : a changing paradigm / Munyaradzi Manyanga and George Pangeti
13. When the smith is a woman : innovation, improvisation and ambiguity in the organisation of African iron metallurgy / Ezekia Mtetwa, Yananiso Maposa, Munyaradzi Manyanga and Shadreck Chirikure
14. The artefact with its record : towards an holistic approach in the management of collections in Zimbabwe Museums / Forget Chaterera
15. Securing the future of collections in Zimbabwe through preventive conservation : the case of Zimbabwe Military Museum / Davison Chiwara
16. 'Disabled access' : debating the accessibility of Zimbabwe national museums by people with disabilities / Simbarashe S. Chitima and Paul Mupira
17. The monument we deserve : authenticity and the conservation of dry-stone walls at Naletale National Monument, Zimbabwe / Nyasha A. Gurira, Munyaradzi Manyanga, Clapperton Gutu and Charity Ndlovu-Nyathi
18. Myths as metaphors : understanding narratives in sustaining living cultural landscapes in Zimbabwe and Australia / Ashton Sinamai
19. Changing circumstances, changing values : community involvement at Ntabazikamambo (Manyanga) National Monument in recent times / Toleni Tayi
20. Liberation heritage, liberating thoughts : a critique of the presentation and management of southern Africa's liberation heritage / Petronella Katekwe.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Manyanga, Munyaradzi, editor.
Chirikure, Shadreck, editor.
George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|