Consuming kids [electronic resource] : the commercialization of childhood / the Media Education Foundation presents ; written & directed by Adriana Barbaro & Jeremy Earp ; produced by Adriana Barbaro ; co-producer, Jason T. Young ; a Media Education Foundation production.
- [San Francisco, California, USA] : Kanopy Streaming, 2014.
1 online resource (1 video file, 67 min.)
Advertising and children -- United States.
Child consumers -- United States.
Marketing research -- United States.
- Documentary films.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
video file MPEG-4 Flash
- With virtually no government or public outcry, the multi-billion dollar youth marketing industry has been able to use the latest advances in psychology, anthropology, and neuroscience to transform American children into one of the most powerful and profitable consumer demographics in the world. American kids now influence an estimated $700 billion in annual spending, targeted virtually from birth with a relentless bombardment of sophisticated commercial appeals designed to sell everything from Hollywood merchandise and junk foods to iPods, cell phones, the family car and vacations. The result is that childhood itself has been commercialized. Drawing on the insights of experts, industry insiders, and children themselves, Consuming Kids traces the evolution and impact of this disturbing and unprecedented phenomenon, exposing the youth marketing industry's controversial tactics and exploring the effect of hyper-consumerism on the actual lived experience of children.
- Narrator, Alex Peterson; Participants, Dan Acuff, Enola Aird, Michael Brody, Nancy Carlsson-Paige, Josh Golin, Allen Kanner, Velma LaPoint, Diane Levin, Susan Linn, Robert Reiher, Michael Rich, Gary Ruskin, Nick Russell, Juliet Schor, Betsy Taylor, David Walsh.
- Originally produced by Media Education Foundation in 2008.
- Alper, Loretta.
- Contained In:
- Media Education Foundation Collection
- Publisher Number:
- 1041604 Kanopy
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|