Why do English learners struggle with reading? [electronic resource] : distinguishing language acquisition from learning disabilities / John J. Hoover, Leonard M. Baca, Janette K. Klingner.
- Second edition.
- Thousand Oaks : Corwin, 2016.
- Sage knowledge.
1 online resource (206 pages) : illustrations.
- Reading disability -- United States.
Learning disabilities -- United States.
Second language acquisition.
English language -- Study and teaching -- United States.
- Make the right instructional and eligibility decisions to help your English Learners! Do your students' reading difficulties reflect language acquisition issues or a learning disability? Now in an updated second edition, this essential guide helps educators to make informed, accurate choices about strategies and services to support English Learners. Developed for general and special education teachers and service providers, this trusted resource offers a variety of research-based best practices, and includes ine common misconceptions that can lead to wrongful placement of students in special education Theories of second language acquisition Select evidence-based methods for teaching reading to students learning English ssues to consider and techniques to use when assessing students for special education and making data-based decisions Role of cultural influences in reading instruction Expanded coverage of multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS) Readers will find helpful vignettes, checklists, and suggestions that support outstanding teaching practices and appropriate, effective use of assessment and referrals. This book provides a wealth of information on ELs within the RTI process. The authors provide a number of practical checklist that can be used by any school district. Very few books address the topic as well as this one does. Jennifer Urbach, Associate Professor University of Northern Colorado.
- Part of the SAGE Knowledge collection.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on XML content.
- Baca, Leonard, author.
Klingner, Janette K., author.
- Other format:
- Print version :
- 9781506341385 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|