Into words : the selected writings of Carroll Dunham / edited and with a publisher's foreword by Paul Chan ; introduction by Scott Rothkopf.
- Standardized Title:
- Essays. Selections
- New York : Badlands Unlimited, . , ©2017
xv, 230 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Art, Modern -- 20th century.
Dunham, Carroll, 1949- -- Written works.
Dunham, Carroll, 1949-
- Artist Carroll Dunham is one of the most acclaimed and innovative painters of his generation. But he is also an astute writer who has engaged with a wide variety of artists in the form of reviews, catalog essays and interviews. Collected here for the first time, 'Into Words: The Selected Writings of Carroll Dunham' reveals the true depth of Dunham's writing. From reviews of Pablo Picasso and Jasper Johns to a gonzo Peter Saul interview, to an appreciation of Kara Walker's films and reflections on his own practice, Dunham writes about what is made and why it matters with incisiveness, wit and candor. Considering the work of a range of artists with a perspective inflected by a deep knowledge of art making, Dunham's writings provide an alternative history of the art of the past 100 years. Featuring an introduction by Scott Rothkopf, Chief Curator of the Whitney Museum of American Art and a publisher's foreword by Paul Chan, Into Words is an expansion of the prescribed art history curriculum, and an invaluable reader for anyone interested in contemporary art and culture.
- The appeal of the head onion peel: on Miró
Head over wheels: on Peter Cain
Peter Saul: a conversation
Jim Nutt: a conversation
Joe Zucker's fiber optics
Black whole: the art of Barry Le Va
Shapes of things to come: on Elizabeth Murray
All or nothing: Robert Rauschenberg's combines
Dead, yellow, mule, garbage, ratio. Giant.
Film noir: the films of Kara Walker
Jasper Johns: gray
Pablo Picasso: mosqueteros
One-eyed Jack: on William Baziotes's Dwarf
Laurie Simmons: a conversation
Michael Williams: a conversation
Ellen Berkenblit: paintings 2011-2014
After Frankenthaler: an artist statement
Rawhide: on Albert Oehlen
Hiding in plane sight.
- Chan, Paul, 1973- editor, writer of foreword.
Rothkopf, Scott, 1976- writer of introduction.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|