Stem cell tourism and the political economy of hope / Alan Petersen, Megan Munsie, Claire Tanner, Casimir MacGregor, Jane Brophy.
- London : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Health, technology, and society.
Health, technology and society
xvii, 218 pages ; 22 cm.
- Stem cells.
Stem cells -- Transplantation.
- Medical subjects:
- Medical Tourism -- psychology.
Stem Cell Transplantation.
Medical Tourism -- ethics.
- Personal Narrative.
- Series Editors' Preface; Acknowledgements; References; Contents; List of Tables; 1: Stem Cell Tourism in Context; Stem Cell Tourism in the Context of the Health and Medical Travel Industry; The Rise of Global Healthcare; Exploring the Sociocultural Dynamics of Stem Cell Tourism; Capturing Expectations and Experiences; Outline of Remaining Chapters; References; 2: 'Choice', Hope, and Stem Cell Treatments; 'Choice' and Its Paradoxes in Global Healthcare; Critical Junctures in Decision-Making; The Immediate Aftermath of Diagnosis; The Perception of 'No Choice'; Experiences of Doctors.
The Significance of Other Patients' Personal Stories Community Support and Fund-Raising; The Experiences of 'Non-Travellers'; Not Wanting to Know Details of Treatment; Country of Destination; Conclusion; References; 3: Managing Hope; Heightened Expectations; Fringe Science; Concerned About the High Cost of Hope; Managers of Hope; 'Accidental' Advisors; Conclusion; References; 4: Hopeful Journeys of Stem Cell Tourists; Difficult Leaps of Faith: Journeys to the Clinic; At the Clinic; Treatment; Reflections: Home Again; Conclusion; References.
5: Exploiting Stem Cell Hopes in Germany Regulating Cell Therapies in Germany; Timing, Exemptions, and Terminology Ambiguity; Enter X-Cell; Recognising and Responding to Risk; Regulators as 'Mediators of Trust'; Conclusion; References; 6: Selling Hope in China; Brand China; Creating the Chinese Market; Regulating the Market; Destination China: Making the Unfamiliar Accessible; Clinic Concierges and Past Patients as Ambassadors; Shaping the Treatment Experience; Commodifying Hope; Purveyors of Hope; 'Cleaning Up' the Market: Regulations, Detours, and New Destinations.
Attempts to Regulate Detours and New Destinations; Conclusion; References; 7: Hope 'at Home': Stem Cell Treatments in Australia; The Rise of Unproven Stem Cell Therapies in Australia; Hope at Home: Patient Perspectives; The Experience of Undertaking Stem Cell Treatment in Australia; Legitimising Therapies: Provider Perspectives; Providers' Views on Regulation; Contested Hope and Regulations; Seeking Hope or Salvation?; Exploitation of Loopholes or Medical Innovation?; Hope, 'Regulation', and the Future of Stem Cell Treatments; References; 8: Re-framing 'Stem Cell Tourism'
The Shifting Landscape of the Stem Cell Treatment Market Authorities' Responses to 'Stem Cell Tourism' Thus Far; References; Appendix; Index.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Munsie, Megan, author.
Tanner, Claire, author.
MacGregor, Casimir, author.
Brophy, Jane, author.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|