Messages musicaux [electronic resource] : le Sénégal en transformation / [director, Cornelia Strasser].
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Messages by music : Senegal in transition
- London, England : Royal Anthropological Institute, 2013.
1 online resource (76 minutes)
- Music -- Senegal.
Griots -- Senegal.
Rap musicians -- Senegal.
Rap (Music) -- Senegal.
- Ethnographic films.
- In French with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- data file
- The traditional musicians in Senegal were in charge of retaining the history of their ethnic group, along with ways of thinking and behaving. Their aim was to conserve the society. Nowadays the griots have lost much of their importance. Their world is vanishing, but not their methods. Awadi, one of the first and best known rappers in Western Africa, picked up the method of the griots to launch his message to the people. But unlike the griots, his aim is to change society. Awadi is fighting Pan-Africanism, a movement which can’t be understood without having colonialism and its still lasting after-effects in mind. This films offers an insight into contemporary Senegalese society, reflecting its ethnic, linguistic, religious and musical diversity.
- Title from resource description page (viewed August 18, 2017).
- Strasser, Cornelia, director, producer.
Schmid, Rolf, producer.
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|