England's fortress : new perspectives on Thomas, 3rd Lord Fairfax / edited by Andrew Hopper and Philip Major.
- Surrey, England ; Burlington, Vermont : Ashgate, 2014. , ©2014
1 online resource (307 p.)
- Fairfax, Thomas Fairfax, Baron, 1612-1671.
Great Britain. Army -- History -- 17th century.
Generals -- Great Britain -- Biography.
Legislators -- Great Britain -- Biography.
Great Britain -- History -- Civil War, 1642-1649.
- Electronic books.
- Overshadowed in the popular imagination by the figure of Oliver Cromwell, historians are increasingly coming to recognize the importance of Thomas Fairfax, 3rd Lord Fairfax of Cameron, in shaping the events of mid-seventeenth-century Britain. As a military and political figure he played a central role in defeating Charles I and supporting the restoration of Charles II in 1660. This book shines new light on this significant figure through a selection of essays addressing a wide range of topics, from Fairfax's role as soldier and statesman, to his life as husband and scholar.
- Cover; Contents; List of Figures; List of Contributors; Acknowledgements; Abbreviations; Introduction; Part I: Fairfax: Soldier and Statesman; 1'In So Shifting a Scene': Thomas Fairfax as Lord of the Isle of Man, 1651-60; 2Sir Thomas Fairfax and Siege Warfare during the English Civil Wars; 3Naseby: Landscape of a Battle; 4 Remembering (and Forgetting) Fairfax's Battlefields; 5 Images of Fairfax in Modern Literature and Film; Part II: Fairfax: Husband, Horseman and Scholar; 6 Anne and Thomas Fairfax, and the Vere Connection
7'O how I love these Solitudes': Thomas Fairfax and the Poetics of Retirement8'The Genius of the house': Andrew Marvell's Private Lord Fairfax; 9 An Appleton Psalter: The Shared Devotions of Thomas Fairfax and Andrew Marvell; 10Gentlemen's Recreation and Georgic Improvement: Lord Fairfax on Horse Breeding; Works Cited; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Hopper, Andrew (Andrew James), editor.
Major, Philip, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|