Signs in use : an introduction to semiotics / Jørgen Dines Johansen and Svend Erik Larsen ; translated by Dinda L. Gorlee and John Irons.
- Standardized Title:
- Tegn i brug. English
- London ; New York : Routledge : Taylor & Francis Group, 2002.
1 online resource (255 p.)
Signs and symbols.
- Electronic books.
- Signs in Use is an accessible introduction to the study of semiotics.All organisms, from bees to computer networks, create signs, communicate, and exchange information. The field of semiotics explores the ways in which we use these signs to make inferences about the nature of the world.Signs in Use cuts across different semiotic schools to introduce six basic concepts which present semiotics as a theory and a set of analytical tools: code, sign, discourse, action, text, and culture. Moving from the most simple to the most complex concept, the book gradually widens the
- Cover; Signs in Use; Title Page; Copyright Page; Table of Contents; List of figures; List of tables; Acknowledgements; 1 Introduction; What is semiotics about?; What is this book about?; 2 Code and structure: from difference to meaning; Code and meaning; Code and structure; 3 Signs: from tracks to words; Zadig and the doctrine of signs; What does the sign represent?; Semiotic competence; How does the sign represent something?; Signs and non-signs; Signs and sign-systems; Semiosis: the sign-process; 4 Discourse analysis: sign, action, intention; What is discourse?
Structuralist discourse analysisPhenomenological discourse analysis; Sociological discourse analysis; 5 Action: interaction becomes narration; Of rats and heroes; I would if I knew I could; Necessity and probability - logic and convention; Heracles and Antaios; 6 Text: from element-structure to dialogue-structure; Text and sign; Text and object; Text and intertextuality: the text as expanding syntagm; Text as semiosis: the semiotic pyramid; The boundaries of the text; 7 Nature and culture: from object to sign; What is cultural semiotics?; The borders of culture; The codes of culture
Nature's taleCultural borders and cultural change; Glossary; Biographies; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Larsen, Svend Erik.
Gorlee, Dinda L.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.4324/9780203994146 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|