News and civil society : the contested space of civil society in UK media / Jen Birks.
- Burlington, Vermont : Ashgate, 2014.
1 online resource (256 p.)
- Civil society -- Great Britain.
Mass media -- Great Britain.
Law enforcement -- Great Britain.
- Electronic books.
- This timely book examines the representation of civil society in news media, exploring the popular understanding of this contested space in relation to conflicting legitimating frames: as the neo-liberal Big Society, activist political participation, or postmodern apolitical tolerance. With close reference to prominent news stories, including the UK state visit of Pope Benedict XVI, anti-austerity protests and industrial action, police infiltration of the environmental movement, and the Occupy camp at St Paul's Cathedral in London, News and Civil Society scrutinises different facets of contemp
- Cover; Contents; List of Tables; Acknowledgments; 1 Introduction; 2 Theorising Legitimacy in Civil Society and the Media; 3 Civil Society in the News: Case Studies; 4 The Good Society: Virtues, Interests, and Justice; 5 Uncivil Action: Legal and Moral Legitimacy; 6 Representation and its Alternatives: Political Legitimacy; 7 Civility in the Public Realm: Social and Personal Legitimacy; 8 Conclusion; Bibliography; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|