On the syntax of missing objects : a study with special reference to English, Polish and Hungarian / Marta Ruda.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Publishing Company, 
- Linguistik aktuell ; 0166-0829 Bd. 244.
Linguistik aktuell/linguistics today (LA), 0166-0829 ; volume 244
xvii, 192 pages ; 25 cm.
- Grammar, Comparative and general -- Syntax.
English language -- Grammar, Comparative -- Polish.
English language -- Grammar, Comparative -- Hungarian.
Polish language -- Grammar, Comparative -- English.
Polish language -- Grammar, Comparative -- Hungarian.
Hungarian language -- Grammar, Comparative -- Polish.
Hungarian language -- Grammar, Comparative -- English.
- Focusing on objects, this book aims at contributing to the on-going inquiry into modelling structures with missing arguments. In addition to offering detailed discussion and analyses of a unique combination of three very different systems (English, Polish, and Hungarian), a larger goal here is to provide a framework for deriving cross-linguistic and intra-linguistic variation in the domain of object drop. Variation of this type is hypothesised to follow, first and foremost, from the association of heads in the extended nominal projection with phonemic features and from the system of interpretation of nominal expressions in a language. The book will be of interest to both theoretically- and descriptively-oriented researchers, since, even though its focus is theoretical, a detailed discussion of the empirical facts, including some novel findings drawn from corpus studies and grammaticality judgements, is also offered.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Ruda, Marta, author. On the syntax of missing objects
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|