Signs of power in Habsburg Spain and the New World [electronic resource] / edited by Jason McCloskey and Ignacio López Alemany.
- Lewisburg, Pa. : Bucknell University Press ; Lanham, Md. : Co-published with The Rowman & Littlefield Pub. Group, Inc., 2013.
1 online resource (256 p.)
- Power (Social sciences) -- Spain -- History -- 16th century.
Power (Social sciences) -- Spain -- History -- 17th century.
Spain -- Intellectual life -- 1516-1700.
Spain -- History -- House of Austria, 1516-1700.
- Electronic books.
- Signs of Power in Habsburg Spain and the New World consists of ten chapters that examine the representation of political, economic, military and symbolic power both in Spain and the New World under the Habsburgs. In addition to analyzing the dynamics of power in written texts, chapters also examine pieces of material culture including coats of arms, coins, engravings and paintings by such artists as Titian and El Greco.
- Titian, Philip II, and pagan iconography / Anne J. Cruz
Visual eroticism, poetic voyeurism : Ekphrasis and the complexities of patronage in Góngora's Fabula de Polifemo y Galatea / Lucia Binotti
Hercules and the statue garden : Sansón Carrasco's Ekphrastic and imperial contests in Don Quijote II.14 / Frederick A. de Armas
The legend of Marus Curtius Romanus as a sign of Auctoritas in early modern Spain / Ignacio López Alemany
Coins, value and trust : the problematic of vellón in seventeenth-century Spanish culture / Elvira Vilches
Tampering with signs of power : Juan de Palafox, historiography, and the limits of heraldry / John Slater
Antonio Pérez and the power of treason / Ana María G. Laguna
Iusgentiumand just war : the problem of representation in Inca Garcilaso's Royal commentaries / José A. Cárdenas Bunsen
The politics of salvation in El Greco's Escorial paintings and Cervantes's La numancia / E.C. Graf
Spain succored by religion : Titian and Lope de Vega's La dragontea / Jason McCloskey.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- McCloskey, Jason, 1977-
López Alemany, Ignacio.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|