The Mantle site [electronic resource] : an archaeological history of an ancestral Wendat community / Jennifer Birch and Ronald F. Williamson.
- Lanham, Md. : AltaMira Press, c2013.
- Issues in Eastern Woodlands Archaeology
Issues in Eastern Woodlands archaeology
Issues in Eastern Woodlands Archaeology
1 online resource (209 p.)
- Wyandot Indians -- Antiquities.
Wyandot Indians -- History.
Wyandot Indians -- Social life and customs.
Excavations (Archaeology) -- Ontario, Lake (N.Y. and Ont.).
Ontario, Lake (N.Y. and Ont.) -- Antiquities.
- Electronic books.
- The Mantle Site is the most detailed analysis of an ancestral Wendat community, discussed in the context of the historical development of Northern Iroquoian societies. It considers themes of identity formation, interaction, and increasing economic and socio-political complexity.
- CONTENTS; Figures; Tables; Acknowledgments; 1 Understanding Northern Iroquoians; Northern Iroquoian Societies; Archaeology and Ethnohistory; Interpretive Frameworks for Ontario Iroquoian Archaeology; Communities and Historical Processes; 2 The Historical Development of Ancestral Wendat Societies; The Origin of Northern Iroquoians; From Hunter-Gatherers to Farmers; Settling the Village; Fourteenth- and Early-Fifteenth-Century Transformations; Fifteenth-Century Coalescence and Conflict; Sixteenth-Century Consolidation and Realignment; 3 Situating the Mantle Site; Duffins Creek
Other North Shore of Lake Ontario Community SequencesOther Ancestral Wendat Site Sequences; The St. Lawrence Valley; The Neutral; The Iroquois; Summary of Iroquoian Site Sequences; 4 Community History; Before Draper; The Draper Site; The Spang Site; The Mantle Site; Comparing the Draper and Mantle Sites; Summary of Community History; 5 The Necessities of Life; Plant Resources: Building, Gathering, and Farming; Animal Resources: Hunting, Fishing, and Clothing; Summary of the Mantle Community Subsistence System; 6 Production, Consolidation, and Interregional Interaction; Ceramic Vessels
Ceramic Smoking PipesFlaked Lithics; Ground Stone Artifacts; Native and European Metal Objects; Burying the Dead; Summary of Local Continuity and Regional Interaction; 7 Conclusions; What We Learned; Claiming the Mantle Site; References; Index; About the Authors
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Williamson, R. F. (Ronald F.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|