Model-based demography : essays on integrating data, technique and theory / Thomas K. Burch.
- Cham, Switzerland : Springer Open, 
- Demographic research monographs.
Demographic research monographs
xviii, 200 pages ; 25 cm.
- Demography -- Mathematical models.
- Late in a career of more than sixty years, Thomas Burch, an internationally known social demographer, undertook a wide-ranging methodological critique of demography. This open access volume contains a selection of resulting papers, some previously unpublished, some published but not readily accessible. Rejecting the idea that demography is simply a branch of applied statistics, his work views it as an autonomous and complete scientific discipline. When viewed from the perspective of modern philosophy of science, specifically the semantic or model-based school, demography is a balanced discipline, with a rich body of techniques and data, but also with more and better theories than generally recognized.
- Part I. A model-based view of demography
Demography in a new key: a theory of population theory
Data, models, theory and reality: the structure of demographic knowledge
Computer modeling of theory: explanation for the twenty-first century
Computer simulation and statistical modeling: rivals or complements?
Does demography need differential equations?
Part II. Some demographic models re-visited
Theory, computers and the parameterization of demographic behavior
Estimating the Goodman, Keyfitz and Pullum kinship equations: an alternative procedure
The life table as a theoretical model
Cohort component projection: algorithm, technique, model and theory
The cohort-component population projection: a strange attractor for demographers
Part III. Teaching demography
Teaching demography: ten principles and two rationales
Teaching the fundamentals of demography: a model-based approach to fertility
On teaching demography: some non-traditional guidelines
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|