Said the prophet of God : Hadith commentary across a millennium / Joel Blecher.
- Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
xiv, 272 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm
- Hadith -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. -- History.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "Although scholars have long studied how Muslims authenticated and transmitted Muhammad's sayings and practices (hadith), the story of how they interpreted and reinterpreted the meanings of hadith over the past millennium has yet to be told. Joel Blecher takes up this charge, illuminating the rich social and intellectual history of hadith commentary at three critical moments: classical Andalusia, medieval Egypt, and modern India. Weaving together tales of public debates, high court rivalries, and colonial politics with analyses of contemporary field notes and fine-grained arguments adorning the margins of manuscripts, Said the Prophet of God offers new avenues for the study of religion, history, anthropology, and law"--Provided by publisher.
- Hadith commentary in Andalusia in the last days of Umayyads
Hadith commentary in Egypt and Syria under the Mamluks
Hadith commentary in early modern India and beyond
Epilogue : Islamism, ISIS, and the politics of interpretation.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Other format:
- Online version: Blecher, Joel, 1982- Said the prophet of God.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|