Late eighteenth-century music and visual culture / edited by Cliff Eisen & Alan Davison.
- Turnhout, Belgium : Brepols, 
- Music and visual cultures ; v. 1.
Music and visual cultures ; volume 1
v, 231 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm.
- Music -- 18th century -- History and criticism.
Music -- 18th century -- Social aspects.
Music -- 18th century -- Influence.
Music -- Influence.
Music -- Social aspects.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- The late eighteenth century witnessed a flourishing exchange between music and visual art which was expressed in the creative as well as commercial cultures of the time. Nevertheless, there has been relatively little research to actively consider and thoroughly examine the symbiotic relationship between looking and listening during the period. In this volume, nine prominent scholars employ a set of interdisciplinary methodological tools in order to come to a comprehensive understanding of the rich tapestry of eighteenth-century musical taste, performance, consumption and aesthetics. While the link between visual material and musicological study lies at the heart of the research presented in this collection of essays, the importance of the textual element, as it denoted the process of thinking about music and the various ways in which that was symbolically and often literally visualized in writing and print culture, is also closely examined.
- Introduction / Cliff Eisen and Alan Davison
Charles Burney's Wunderkammer of ancient instruments in his General History of Music / Zdravko Blažeković
John Brown's Dissertation (1763) on poetry and music: an eighteenth-century view on music's role in the rise and fall of civilization / Alan Davison
Developing an eye for harmony: Rubens in Mozart's education / Thomas Tolley
Gothic musical scenes and the image of performance / Annette Richards
The visual traces of a discourse of ineffability: late eighteenth-century German published writings on music / Keith Chapin
Marketing ploys, monuments and music paratexts: reading the title pages of early Mozart editions / Nancy November
Musical allegories in the printed edition of the Máscara Real: new iconographic models in Catalonian engravings of the second half of the eighteenth century / Vanessa Esteve Marull
Authenticity and likeness in Mozart portraiture / Cliff Eisen
Imaging Beethoven / Simon Shaw-Miller.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Eisen, Cliff, 1952- editor.
Davison, Alan (Musicologist) editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|