Can we talk Mediterranean? : conversations on an emerging field in Medieval and early modern studies / Brian A. Catlos, Sharon Kinoshita, editors.
- Cham, Switzerland : Palgrave Macmillan imprint is published by Springer Nature, .
- Mediterranean perspectives (Palgrave Macmillan (Firm))
xxi, 153 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Mediterranean Region -- Civilization.
Mediterranean Region -- History.
Art, Medieval -- Mediterranean Region.
- This book provides a systematic framework for the emerging field of Mediterranean studies, collecting essays from scholars of history, literature, religion, and art history that seek a more fluid understanding of "Mediterranean." It emphasizes the interdependence of Mediterranean regions and the rich interaction (both peaceful and bellicose, at sea and on land) between them. It avoids applying the national, cultural and ethnic categories that developed with the post-Enlightenment domination of northwestern Europe over the academy, working instead towards a dynamic and thoroughly interdisciplinary picture of the Mediterranean. Including an extensive bibliography and a conversation between leading scholars in the field, Can We Talk Mediterranean? lays the groundwork for a new critical and conceptual approach to the region.
- Why the Mediterranean? / Brian A. Catlos
The Thalassal optic / Cecily J. Hilsdale
Negotiating the corrupting sea : literature in and of the Medieval Mediterranean / Shaton Kinoshita
Desiderata for the study of early modern art of the Mediterranean / Claire Farago
The maritime, the ecological, the cultural
and the fig leaf : prospects for Medieval Mediterranean studies / Peregrine Horden
Beneath the surface : responses and queries / The panelists & audience
Reflections : talking Mediterranean / Brian A. Catlos, Cecily J. Hilsdale, Peregrine Horden and Sharon Kinoshita.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Catlos, Brian A., editor.
Kinoshita, Sharon, editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|