Within Our Gates [electronic resource].
- Other Title:
- Selections from the National Film Registry.
- Kino Lorber Edu, : Micheaux Film Corporation ; 1920
Kino Lorber Edu, 1920.
1 online resource (1 streaming video)
- Motion pictures.
- Streaming video.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- In this early silent film from pioneering director Oscar Micheaux, kindly Sylvia Landry (Flo Clements) takes a fundraising trip to Boston in hopes of collecting 5,000 dollars to keep a Southern school for impoverished black children open to the public. She then meets the warmhearted Dr. Vivian (William Smith), who falls in love with Sylvia and travels with her back to the South. There, Dr. Vivian learns about Sylvia's shocking, tragic past and realizes that racism has changed her life forever. Music by Paul D. Miller, aka DJ Spooky. Within Our Gates was created in response to The Birth of a Nation which depicted southern whites in need of the Ku Klux Klan to protect them from blood thirsty blacks. Micheaux shows the reality of Dixie racism in 1920, where a black man could be lynched for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Title from title frames.
Originally produced by Kino Lorber Edu in 1920.
- Kino Lorber Edu (Firm) , Distributor
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|