The Oxford handbook of the Second Sophistic [electronic resource] / edited by Daniel S. Richter and William A. Johnson.
- Other Title:
- Second Sophistic
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Oxford handbooks in classical studies.
Oxford handbooks online.
Oxford handbooks online
1 online resource.
- Second Sophistic movement.
- The study of the Second Sophistic is a relative newcomer to the Anglophone field of classics, and much of what characterizes it temporally and culturally remains a matter of legitimate contestation. This Handbook offers a diversity of scholarly voices that attempt to define the state of this developing field. Included are chapters that offer practical guidance on the wide range of valuable textual materials that survive, many of which are useful or even core to inquiries of particularly current interest (e.g., gender studies, cultural history of the body, sociology of literary culture, history of education and intellectualism, history of religion, political theory, history of medicine, cultural linguistics, intersection of the classical traditions and early Christianity).
- Periodicity and Scope / William A. Johnson, Daniel S. Richter
Professionals of Paideia? The Sophists as Performers / Thomas A. Schmitz
Athletes and Trainers / Jason König
Performance Space / Edmund Thomas
Cult / Marietta Horster
Pilgrimage / Ian C. Rutherford
The Anti-Sophistic Novel / Daniel L. Selden
Greece: Hellenistic and Early Imperial Continuities / Tim Whitmarsh
Chariton and Xenophon of Ephesus / J. R. Morgan
Longus and Achilles Tatius / Froma Zeitlin
Apuleius / Stephen J. Harrison
Poets and Poetry / Manuel Baumbach
Mythography / Stephen Trzaskoma
Miscellanies / Katerina Oikonomopoulou
Lucian of Samosata / Daniel S. Richter
Plutarch: Philosophy, Religion, and Ethics / Fred Brenk
Plutarch's Lives / Paolo Desideri
Philostratus / Graeme Miles
Was There a Latin Second Sophistic? / Tom Habinek
Epistolography / Owen Hodkinson
Historiography / Sulo Asirvatham
Pausanias / William Hutton
Greek and Latin Rhetorical Culture / Laurent Pernot
Dio Chrysostom / Claire Rachel Jackson
Favorinus and Herodes Atticus / Leofranc Holford-Strevens
Fronto and His Circle / Pascale Fleury
Aelius Aristides / Estelle Oudot
The Stoics / Gretchen Reydams-Schils
Epicureanism Writ Large: Diogenes of Oenoanda / Pamela Gordon
Atticism and Asianism / Lawrence Kim
Skepticism / Richard Bett
The Aristotelian Tradition / Han Baltussen
Early Christianity and the Classical Tradition / Aaron P. Johnson
Jewish Literature / Erich Gruen
Christian Apocrypha / Scott Fitzgerald Johnson
Platonism / Ryan C. Fowler
Galen / Susan Mattern
Latinitas / W. Martin Bloomer
The Creation of Christian Elite Culture in Roman Syria and the Near East / William Adler
Cosmopolitanism / Daniel S. Richter
Ethnicity, Culture and Identity / Emma Dench
Retrosexuality: Sex in the Second Sophistic / Amy Richlin
Schools and Paideia / Ruth Webb.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on October 31, 2017).
- Richter, Daniel S., editor.
Johnson, William A. (William Allen), 1956- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version :
- 9780199984909 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|