Albert Oehlen / edited by Hans Werner Holzwarth ; with texts by Roberto Ohrt, Martin Prinzhorn, John Corbett ; and conversations with the artist by Alexander Klar, John Corbett.
- Köln : Taschen, .
494 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 35 cm
- Oehlen, Albert, 1954-.
Painting, Abstract -- Germany.
- Parallel texts in English, French and German.
- "In this expansive monograph, we meet the full range of Oehlen's artistic thoughts and approaches: paintings that integrate mirrors, paintings that are executed strictly in primary colors or only in gray, heavily pixelated paintings produced with the help of one of the first personal computers. We find collaged fragments of garish poster ads on canvases that transforming screaming slogans into abstract elements, charcoal drawings the size of a wall, finger paintings, and paintings in which black treelike silhouettes contort themselves into a lexicon of abstract forms. Throughout, Oehlen transforms the conceptual into the compositional, at once invigorating and challenging the viewer. Revising and updating Taschen's previous Collector's Edition, this revelatory survey explores Oehlen's trajectory from his early days up to the present. It features more than 400 paintings as well as insightful commentaries and interviews, covering Oehlen's different work stages and approaches. Roberto Ohrt's essay takes us back to the special vibe of the early 1980s where Oehlen worked alongside Kippenberger, Büttner, and others, part of a scene that painted quickly and close to the pulse of time. Oehlen discusses his computer paintings with John Corbett, and follows up on his more recent work, his thoughts on art, and his day in the studio in a lengthy conversation with Alexander Klar. A collection of shorter texts and quotes from the artist bring us close to the ideas of an artist who has been dubbed 'the most resourceful abstract painter alive"--Publisher's website.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Holzwarth, Hans Werner, editor.
Ohrt, Roberto, author.
Prinzhorn, Martin, author.
Corbett, John, 1963- author, interviewer.
Klar, Alexander, interviewer.
- Oehlen, Albert, 1954- Works. Selections. 2017.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|