A strained partnership? : US-UK relations in the era of dé́tente, 1969-77 / Thomas Robb.
- Manchester, England ; New York, New York : Manchester University Press, 2018. , ©2014
1 online resource (x, 229 pages) : digital, PDF file(s).
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994.
United States -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- United States.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1969-1974.
United States -- Politics and government -- 1974-1977.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: internet via World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat or other PDF reader (latest version recommended), Internet Explorer or other browser (latest version recommended).
data file PDF
- This is the first monograph-length study that charts the coercive diplomacy of the administrations of Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford as practised against their British ally in order to persuade Edward Heath’s government to follow a more amenable course throughout the ‘Year of Europe’ and to convince Harold Wilson’s governments to lessen the severity of proposed defence cuts. Such diplomacy proved effective against Heath but rather less so against Wilson. It is argued that relations between the two sides were often strained, indeed, to the extent that the most ‘special’ elements of the relationship were suspended. Yet, the relationship also witnessed considerable co-operation. This book offers new perspectives on US and UK policy towards British membership of the European Economic Community; demonstrates how US détente policies created strain; reveals the temporary shutdown of US-UK intelligence and nuclear co-operation, and re-evaluates the US-UK relationship throughout the IMF Crisis.
2. Re-assessing foreign policy 1969-72
3. A year of discord 1973-74
4. Wilson returns 1974-76
5. All out of money 1976-77
- First published: 2014.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Manchester, England : Manchester University Press, 2018.
Description based on print version record.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- Access Restriction:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access star
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|