Snow, ice and penguins : a cavalcade of Antarctic adventures / by Charles Lee.
- New York : Dodd, Mead & Company, 
xiv, 417 pages : map (on lining-papers) ; 22 cm
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- Introduction / Charles Lee
The Antarctic Ocean / Russell Owen
The white continent / Walter B. Hayward
In the beginning: the pioneers / H.R. Mill
Cook crosses the circle / Captain James Cook
Palmer sees land / Nathaniel Brown Palmer and Captain Edmund Fanning
Enter the Russians / H.R. Mill
Sea and seal: James Weddell / H.R. Mill
Wilkes recognizes a continent / Charles Wilkes
Battle with bergs / Captain James Clark Ross
The first landing / H.J. Bull
Moon faces / Dr. Frederick A. Cook
Winter on Paulet Island / C.J. Skottsberg
Antarctic picnic / Dr. Jean Charcot
White war / Sir Ernest Shackleton
Amundsen conquers the pole / Roald Amundsen
Death takes a holiday / Apsley Cherry-Garrard
Triumph and tragedy: Captain Scott / Captain Robert Falcon Scott
Penguins / Dr. G. Murray Levick
Struggle for survival / Sir Douglas Mawson
Endurance / Commander Frank Arthur Worsley
Antarctic hunt / F.D. Ommanney
Little America / Admiral Richard E. Byrd
Plane over the Pole / Admiral Richard E. Byrd
New land and a cairn / Laurence McKinley Gould
South polar night / Charles J.V. Murphy
Alone / Admiral Richard E. Byrd
Trapped / Commander Finn Ronne
Pourquoi-pas? / Apsley Cherry-Garrard.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries Lee Collection copy has three articles on Norman Vaughn and his climbing Mount Vaughn at age 88 laid in. Also laid in are a photo from National Geographic of polar explorers, facts on the Antarctic, a letter to David Lee, and a DP from October 24, 1950 with a review of the book.
Penn Libraries Lee Collection copy has inscription under the dedication: "and from the author to Mother and Dad, his authors, with love, Charles. 9-29-50.
- Penn Provenance:
- Lee, Ruth Sara (donor) (Lee Collection copy)
Lee, Charles, 1913- (autograph, 9-29-50) (Lee Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Charles Lee Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Lee, Charles, 1913- Snow, ice and penguins.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|