Bleak house / by Charles Dickens ; with illustrations by H.K. Browne.
- London : Bradbury and Evans, [1852-1853]
20 pts. (xvi, 624 p.,  leaves of plates) : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Young women -- Fiction.
London (England) -- Fiction.
Guardian and ward -- Fiction.
Illegitimate children -- Fiction.
Inheritance and succession -- Fiction.
Law -- England -- Fiction.
- Domestic fiction.
Feuilletons -- England -- 19th century.
Illustrated books -- England -- 1852-1853.
Illustrated wrappers (book covers) -- England -- 1852-1853.
Serial fiction -- England -- 1852-1853.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- First edition. Twenty numbers (nos. 19 and 20 issued together in a single volume). Issued monthly, from March 1852 to September 1853 in illustrated blue paper wrappers printed with advertisements. Each number contains two plates except nos. 9 and 10, which contain one and three respectively. A printed note tipped into no. 9 explains the reason for this. Extensive advertisements in each number, including a section at the front of each issue called The Bleak House Advertiser, ranging from 8 to 24 pages; some numbers also have an advertisement slip tipped in.
Added engraved title leaf in pt. 1.
Errata on p. xvi.
- Local notes:
- RBC copy: illegible ms. inscription on front wrapper of nos. 7-10 and 19/20.
RBC copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2017 by Julia B. Leisenring.
RBC copy bound in one volume (wrappers of individual numbers retained) in full tree calf; each board has gold-tooled floriate border; 5 raised, gold-tooled bands on spine; gold-tooled spine panels; gold-stamped red leather spine label ("BLEAK HOUSE. DICKENS."); gold-tooled cover edges; blind-tooled turn-ins; marbled endpapers; gilt tops.
- Penn Provenance:
- Leisenring, Julia B. (donor) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Eckel, J.C. The first editions of the writings of Ch. Dickens, p. 256
Hatton, T. Bibliography of the periodical works of Charles Dickens, p. 275-304
- Browne, Hablot Knight, 1815-1882, illustrator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|