Coping with the future : theories and practices of divination in East Asia / edited by Michael Lackner.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Sinica Leidensia ; v. 138.
Sinica Leidensia, 0169-9563 ; volume 138
xv, 586 pages ; 25 cm.
- Divination -- South Asia.
- Coping With the Future. Theories and Practices of Divination in East Asia' offers insights into various techniques of divination, their evolution, and their assessment. The contributions cover the period from the earliest documents on East Asian mantic arts to their appearance in the present time. 0The volume reflects the pervasive manifestations of divination in literature, religious and political life, and their relevance for society and individuals. Special emphasis is placed on cross-cultural influences and attempts to find theoretical foundations for divinatory practices. This edited volume is an initiative to study the phenomena of divination across East Asian cultures and beyond. It is also one of the first attempts to theorize divinatory practices through East Asian traditions.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lackner, Michael, 1953- editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Coping with the future
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|