A body of work : dancing to the edge and back / David Hallberg.
- First Touchstone hardcover edition.
- New York : Touchstone, 2017.
424 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Hallberg, David.
Ballet dancers -- United States -- Biography.
Male dancers -- United States -- Biography.
- "David Hallberg, the first American to join the famed Bolshoi Ballet as a principal dancer and the dazzling artist The New Yorker described as 'the most exciting male ballet dancer in the Western world,' presents an intimate journey through his artistic life up to the moment he returns to the stage after a devastating injury almost cost him his career. While rich in detail ballet fans will adore, this is a book that anyone interested in a life of creativity will love. Hallberg reflects on themes like inspiration, ego, self-doubt, 'the artistic calling', and perfectionism as he takes readers into daily classes, rigorous rehearsals, and triumphant performances, searching for new inspiration and interpretations of ballet's greatest roles. He reveals the vicious bullying he endured as a child, the ambition he had to tame as a new member of American Ballet Theatre, and the reasons behind his headline-grabbing decision to be the first American to join the top ranks of the Bolshoi Ballet. Then, as Hallberg circled the globe performing at the peak of his abilities, he suffered a crippling injury that led to two surgeries, an agonizing retreat from ballet, and the decision to commit to a radical rebuilding of his body and technique that resulted in his miraculous return to the stage as a new artist and a new man. Combining his impressive powers of observation and memory with emotional honesty and artistic insight, David Hallberg has written a thrilling dance memoir and an intimate portrait of an artist in all his vulnerability, passion, and wisdom."--Dust jacket flap.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Commins-Holman Family Fund.
- Commins-Holman Family Fund.
- Other format:
- Online version: Hallberg, David. Body of work
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|