The Sikhs of the Punjab [electronic resource] / J.S. Grewal.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- New Cambridge history of India ; II, 3.
The new Cambridge history of India ; II, 3
1 online resource (xxv, 277 pages) : digital, PDF file(s)
- Sikhs -- History.
Punjab (India) -- History.
- In a revised edition of his original book, J. S. Grewal brings the history of the Sikhs from its beginnings in the time of Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism, right up to the present day. Against the background of the history of the Punjab, the volume surveys the changing pattern of human settlements in the region until the fifteenth century and the emergence of the Punjabi language as the basis of regional articulation. Subsequent chapters explore the life and beliefs of Guru Nanak, the development of his ideas by his successors and the growth of his following. The book offers a comprehensive statement on one of the largest and most important communities in India today.
- 1. The Turko-Afghan rule
2. Foundation of the Sikh Panth
3. Evolution of the Sikh Panth (1539-1606)
4. Transformation of the Sikh Panth (1606-1708)
5. Rise to political power (1708-1799)
6. The Sikh empire (1799-1848)
7. Recession and resurgence (1849-1919) 8. In the struggle for freedom (1920-1947)
9. Towards the 'Punjab-Province' (1947-1966)
10. In the new Punjab state (1966-1984)
Appendices: The successors of Guru Nanak
The descendants of Guru Ram Das
The Mughal rulers of India
Chronology of events from 1708 to 1849
Heads of British administration in the Punjab.
The Turko-Afghan rule
Foundations of the Sikh Panth
Evolution of the Sikh Panth (1539-1606)
Transformation of the Sikh Panth (1606-1708)
Rise to political power (1708-1799)
The Sikh empire (1799-1848)
Recession and resurgence (1849-1919)
In the struggle for freedom (1920-1947)
Towards the 'Pubjan-Province' (1947-1966)
In the new Punjab state (1966-1984).
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 18 Nov 2015).
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9781139053365 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|