The Cambridge history of Africa. Volume 2, From c.500 BC to AD 1050 [electronic resource] / edited by J. D. Fage.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1979.
1 online resource (xvii, 840 pages) : digital, PDF file(s)
- Africa -- History -- To 1884.
- After the prehistory of Volume I, Volume II of The Cambridge History of Africa deals with the beginnings of history. It is about 500 BC that historical sources begin to embrace all Africa north of the Sahara and, by the end of the period, documentation is also beginning to appear for parts of sub-Saharan Africa. North of the Sahara, this situation arises since Africans were sharing in the major civilizations of the Mediterranean world. It is shown that these northern Africans were not simply passive recipients of Phoenician, Greek, Roman and Arab influences, or of the great religions and cultures of Judaism, Christianity and Islam coming from the Semitic world. They adapted these things to their own particular needs and purposes, and sometimes too contributed to their general development. But the North African civilization failed to make headway south of the Sahara.
- Introduction / J.D. Fage
The legacy of prehistory: an essay on the background to the individuality of African cultures / J. Desmond Clark
North Africa in the period of Phoenician and Greek colonization, c. 800 to 323 BC / R.C.C. Law
North Africa in the Hellenistic and Roman periods, 323 BC to AD 305 / R.C.C. Law
The Nilotic Sudan and Ethiopia, c. 660 bc to c.ad 600 / P.L. Shinnie
Trans-Saharan contacts and the Iron Age in West Africa / Raymond Mauny
The emergence of Bantu Africa / Roland Oliver and Brian M. Fagan
The Christian period in Mediterranean Africa, c.ad 200 to 700 / W.H.C. Frend
The Arab conquest and the rise of Islam in North Africa / Michael Brett
Christian Nubia / P.L. Shinnie
The Fatimid revolution (861-973) and its aftermath in North Africa / Michael Brett
The Sahara and the Sudan from the Arab conquest of the Maghrib to the rise of the Almoravids / Nehemia Levtzion.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 18 Nov 2015).
- Fage, J. D. (John Donnelly), 1921- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9781139054560 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|