The new Cambridge modern history. Volume 7, The Old Regime, 1713-1763 [electronic resource] / edited by J.O. Lindsay.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1957.
1 online resource (xx, 592 pages) : digital, PDF file(s)
- Europe -- History -- 18th century.
Enlightenment -- Europe.
Europe -- Politics and government -- 18th century.
- This volume surveys the political, military and diplomatic history of a period of changing alliances and limited and gentlemanly but frequent wars. It gives particular weight to the emergence of Prussia and Russia as European Powers and to the rivalry of France and England in America, in India and on the high seas. The economic background to these national fortunes is of increasing international trade, technological progress and colonialisation. Socially, European society slowly evolved from the domination of the aristocracy to that of urban populations and bourgeois administrators. Intellectually, the culture of Europe took on what are recognized as specifically eighteenth-century forms and ideals. From the point of view of world history this period saw the confirmation of European pre-eminence and dominion.
- The growth of overseas commerce and European manufacture / C.H. Wilson
The social classes and the foundations of the states / J.O. Lindsay
The visual arts and imaginative literature / Albert Richardson
The Enlightenment / A. Cobban
Religion / R.W. Greaves
Monarchy and administration : European practice / J.O. Lindsay
The English inspiration / W.R. Brock
The armed forces and the art of war / Eric Robson
International relations / J.O. Lindsay
The decline of divine-right monarchy in France / A. Cobban
England / W.R. Brock
The western Mediterranean and Italy / J.O. Lindsay
The organisation and rise of Prussia / W.H. Bruford
Russia / Ian Young
Scandinavia and the Baltic / R.M. Hatton
Poland under the Saxon kings / L.R. Lewitter
The Habsburg dominions / C.A. Macartney
The war of the Austrian succession / Mark A. Thomson
The diplomatic revolution / D.R. Horn
The Seven Years War / Eric Robson
The development of the American communities : Latin America / J.H. Parry
North America / Frank Thistlethwaite
Rivalries in America : The Caribbean / J.H. Parry
The North American continent / Frank Thistlethwaite
Rivalries in India / C.C. Davies
Economic relations in Africa and the Far East : Africa / J. Gallagher
Asia / Victor Purcell.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 18 Nov 2015).
- Lindsay, J. O., editor.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9781139055833 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|