The Cambridge history of seventeenth-century philosophy. Volume 1 [electronic resource] / edited by Daniel Garber, Michael Ayers ; with the assistance of Roger Ariew and Alan Gabbey.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 1998.
1 online resource (xvii, 949 pages) : digital, PDF file(s)
- Philosophy, Modern -- 17th century.
- The Cambridge History of Seventeenth-Century Philosophy offers a uniquely comprehensive and authoritative overview of early-modern philosophy written by an international team of specialists. As with previous Cambridge Histories of Philosophy the subject is treated by topic and theme, and since history does not come packaged in neat bundles, the subject is also treated with great temporal flexibility, incorporating frequent reference to medieval and Renaissance ideas. The basic structure of the volumes corresponds to the way an educated seventeenth-century European might have organised the domain of philosophy. Thus, the history of science, religious doctrine, and politics feature very prominently.
- volume 1. Preface / Daniel Garber and Michael Ayers
Introduction / Michael Ayers and Daniel Garber
I. The institutional setting / Richard Tuck
The intellectual setting / Stephen Menn
European philosophical responses to non-European culture: China / D.E. Mungello
II. Logic, language, and abstract objects
Logic in the seventeenth century: preliminary remarks and the constituents of the proposition / Gabriel Nuchelmans
Proposition and judgement / Gabriel Nuchelmans
Deductive reasoning / Gabriel Nuchelmans
Method and the study of nature / Peter Dear
Universals, essences, and abstract entities / Martha Bolton
Individuation / Udo Thiel
The idea of God / Jean-Luc Marion
Proofs of the existence of God / Jean-Robert Armogathe
The Cartesian dialectic of creation / Thomas M. Lennon
The relation between theology and philosophy / Nicholas Jolley
The religious background of seventeenth-century philosophy / Richard Popkin
IV. Body and the physical world
The scholastic background / Roger Ariew and Alan Gabbey
The occultist tradition and its critics / Brian Copenhaver
Doctrines of explanation in late scholasticism and in the mechanical philosophy / Steven Nadler
New doctrines of body and its powers, place, and space / Daniel Garber, John Henry, Lynn Joy, and Alan Gabbey
Knowledge of the existence of body / Charles McCracken
New doctrines of motion / Alan Gabbey
Laws of nature / J.R. Milton
The mathematical realm of nature / Michael Mahoney
Soul and mind: life and thought in the seventeenth century / Daniel Garber
Knowledge of the soul / Charles McCracken
Mind-body problems / Daniel Garber and Margaret Wilson
Personal identity / Udo Thiel
The passions in metaphysics and the theory of action / Susan James.
- Title from publisher's bibliographic system (viewed on 18 Nov 2015).
- Garber, Daniel, 1949- editor.
Ayers, Michael, 1935- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version:
- 9781139055451 (ebook)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|