Arley, or, The faithless wife : a novel, in two volumes.
- London : Printed by J.S. Barr ..., 1790.
2 v. ; 17 cm (12mo)
- edsh s.th s.es liby (3) 1790 (A) v.1
het, ."of p"f- anTh (3) 1790 (A) v.2
- Man-woman relationships -- England -- Fiction.
- Printers' advertisements -- England -- London -- 18th century.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Signatures: v. 1: [A]² B-I¹² K⁶ L² ; v. 2: [A]² B-I¹² K¹⁰.
Pagination: v. 1: , 208 p. ; v. 2: , 210,  p.
Printer's advertisement on last printed leaf of v. 2.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Amy Comegys Memorial Fund.
Singer-Mendenhall copy: v. 1 has early ms. inscription ("G. B - h - Ss"), struck through, on front free endpaper; v. 2 has early ms. inscription ("Bs - 2 Vol."), struck through, on front free endpaper.
Singer-Mendenhall copy purchased for the Penn Libraries in 2018 from Jarndyce Antiquarian Booksellers.
Singer-Mendenhall copy has autograph ("G. Shober") on half-title leaf of each volume.
Singer-Mendenhall copy housed in a clamshell case.
Singer-Mendenhall copy: "margins of vol. I darkened but not impinging on text block apart from a few leaves ... vol. I is fire damaged, the spine completely blackened with much of the calf from both boards burnt away, loss of lower corner of back board; the entire volume has been glazed to preserve the integrity of what remains"--Bookseller's description.
- Penn Provenance:
- Shober, G. (autograph) (Singer-Mendenhall copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC T54970
- Barr, James Smith, printer.
Collection of British and American Fiction, 1660-1830 (University of Pennsylvania)
Amy Comegys Memorial Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|