New directions in social and cultural history / edited by Sasha Handley, Rohan McWilliam and Lucy Noakes.
- London ; New York : Bloomsbury Academic an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2018.
- New directions in social and cultural history.
New directions in social and cultural history
xv, 275 pages ; 24 cm.
- Social history.
Civilization -- History.
- "What does it mean to be a social and cultural historian today? In the wake of the 'cultural turn', and in an age of digital and public history, what challenges and opportunities await historians in the early 21st century? In this exciting new text, leading historians reflect on key developments in their fields and argue for a range of 'new directions' in social and cultural history. Focusing on emerging areas of historical research such as the history of the emotions and environmental history, New Directions in Social and Cultural History is an invaluable guide to the current and future state of the field. The book is divided into three clear sections, each with an editorial introduction, and covering key thematic areas: histories of the human, the material world, and challenges and provocations. Each chapter in the collection provides an introduction to the key and recent developments in its specialist field, with their authors then moving on to argue for what they see as particularly important shifts and interventions in the theory and methodology and suggest future developments. New Directions in Social and Cultural History provides a comprehensive and insightful overview of this burgeoning field which will be important reading for all students and scholars of social and cultural history and historiography"-- Provided by publisher.
- Subjectivity, the self and historical practice / Penny Summerfield
The history of emotions / Rob Boddice
The body and the senses / Judith A. Allen
A return to materialism? putting social history back into place / Katrina Navickas
Markets and culture / Donna Loftus
Visual and material cultures / Jennifer Tucker
Public histories / Paul Ashton and Meg Foster
Animal human histories / Hilda Kean
New directions in transnational history: thinking and living transnationally / Durba Ghosh
Environmental history / John Morgan
Spatial history / Nicola Whyte
Afterword: digital history / Seth Denbo.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Handley, Sasha, editor.
McWilliam, Rohan, editor.
Noakes, Lucy, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: New directions in social and cultural history.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|