Charles I : King and collector / exhibition curators, Per Rumberg, Desmond Shawe-Taylor ; assisted by Lucy Chiswell, Niko Munz
- London : Royal Academy of Arts,  , Â©2018
267 pages : color illustrations ; 31 cm
- Painting -- Private collections -- England -- London -- History.
Art -- Private collections
Kings and rulers -- Art collections.
Painting -- Private collections.
Charles I, King of England, 1600-1649 -- Art collections -- History.
Charles I, King of England, 1600-1649
Karl I. England, KoÌnig 1600-1649
Bauhaus Dessau -- 1986-1994 Bereich Architektur und Sammlungen
Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Art collections -- History -- 17th century.
England -- London.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- During his reign, King Charles I (1600-1649) assembled one of Europe's most extraordinary art collections. Indeed, by the time of his death, it contained some 2,000 paintings and sculptures. 'Charles I: King and Collector' explores the origins of the collection, the way it was assembled and what it came to represent. Authoritative essays provide a revealing historical context for the formation of the King's taste. They analyse key areas of the collection, such as the Italian Renaissance, and how the paintings that Charles collected influenced the contemporary artists he commissioned. Following Charles's execution, his collection was sold. This book, which accompanies the exhibition, reunites its most important works in sumptuous detail. Featuring paintings by such masters as Van Dyck, Rubens and Raphael, this striking publication offers a unique insight into this fabled collection.
- "In partnership with Royal Collection Trust."
Catalogue of an exhibition held at the Royal Academy of Arts in London, UK from January 27 to April 15, 2018.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 259-266) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Lawrence H. Herring Memorial Fund.
- Royal Academy of Arts (Great Britain), host institution, publisher.
Lawrence H. Herring Memorial Fund.
Shawe-Taylor, Desmond, 1955- curator.
Rumberg, Per, 1975- curator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|