Public spaces and urbanity : how to design humane cities / Karsten Pålsson ; English translation, Karen Steenhard.
- Standardized Title:
- Humane byer. English
- Berlin : DOM Publishers,  , ©2017
- Construction and design manual.
Construction and design manual
271 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), maps, plans ; 29 cm.
Sociology, Urban -- Europe.
Public spaces -- Europe.
Urban policy -- Europe.
City planning -- Europe.
Cities and towns -- Europe.
Architecture -- Human factors -- Europe.
Architecture -- Human factors.
Cities and towns
- Local subjects:
Architecture and society.
- Translated from the Danish.
- Taking examples from major European cities, 'Public Spaces and Urbanity' is a practical guide demonstrating what urban development with a human face might look like. This involves renewing and enhancing humane cities using architecture on a human scale while taking their history into account. Thus the book follows the tradition established by Jan Gehl that regards urban space as a framework for people to live in and socialise. The European tradition of the dense classical city marks the point of departure for this book. Special emphasis is placed on physical and spatial parameters, on development patterns and building types, on the guiding principles governing access, and on interconnections with public roads and pathways --all of which form the foundations of urban life as well as cities that provide safety and security. The book is divided into ten thematic chapters, each providing a definition and general outline of core challenges together with proposals for meeting them. An historical outline of urban development and the practically organised thematic structure underlying concepts discussed allow the examples given to greatly broaden the field of understanding around this topic.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 270-271).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Martin and Margy Meyerson Endowment Fund for the Built Environment Collections.
- Steenhard, Karen, translator.
Martin and Margy Meyerson Endowment Fund for the Built Environment Collections.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|