Anne Clifford's autobiographical writing, 1590-1676 / edited and annotated by Jessica L. Malay.
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2018. , ©2018
x, 323 pages : illustrations, genealogical table ; 24 cm
- Pembroke, Anne Clifford Herbert, Countess of, 1590-1676.
Aristocracy (Social class) -- England -- Biography.
Nobility -- England -- Biography.
England -- Social life and customs -- 17th century.
Clifford, Anne (1590-1676; Lady) -- Autobiographie.
Grande-Bretagne -- 17e siècle -- Moeurs et coutumes.
- Lady Anne Clifford (1590-1676) was a prominent noble woman in the seventeenth century. During her long life she experienced the courts of Elizabeth, James and Charles I. She fought a decades long battle to secure her inheritance of the Clifford lands of the north, providing a spirited and legally robust defense of her rights despite the opposition of powerful men, including James I. She eventually inherited the Clifford lands, and she describes her subsequent struggles to reclaim her authority in these lands still mired in the civil wars. Her autobiographies reveal her joys and griefs within a vivid description of seventeenth-century life. They reveal a personality that was vulnerable and determined; charitable and canny. Her autobiographies provide a window into a vibrant world of seventeenth-century life as lived by this complex and intriguing seventeenth-century woman.
- List of illustrations
List of abbreviations
The Lady Anne Clifford's memoir, 1603
Countess of Dorset's diary, 1616, 1617 and 1619
The life of me the Lady Anne Clifford, 1589-1649
The Lady of the North, yearly memoirs, 1650-1675
Countess of Pembroke's daybook, 1676
Appendix: genealogical table
Glossary of persons
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 301-306) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Malay, Jessica L., editor.
Horace Howard Furness Memorial Fund.
- Publisher Number:
- 9781526117885 br
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|