The inner life of animals : love, grief, and compassion : surprising observations of a hidden world / Peter Wohlleben ; foreword by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson ; translation by Jane Billinghurst.
- Standardized Title:
- Seelenleben der Tiere. English
- Vancouver ; Berkeley : Greystone Books : David Suzuki Institute, 2017. , ©2017
x, 277 pages ; 20 cm
- Animal psychology.
Emotions in animals.
- Childrens subjects:
- Animal intelligence.
- Translated from the German.
- "Through vivid stories of devoted pigs, two-timing magpies, and scheming roosters, The Inner Life of Animals weaves Peter Wohlleben's wealth of personal experience observing nature in forests and fields with the latest scientific research into how animals interact with the world. Horses feel shame, deer grieve, and goats discipline their kids. Ravens call their friends by name, rats regret bad choices, and butterflies choose the very best places for their children to grow up. Peter Wohlleben follows the hugely successful The Hidden Life of Trees with insightful stories into the emotions, thoughts, and intelligence of animals around us. Animals are different from us in amazing ways--and they are also much closer to us than we ever would have thought"--Dust jacket flap.
- Foreword / by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
Selfless mother love
a second-rate emotion?
Lies and deception
Black and white
Cold hedgehogs, warm honey bees
Just for fun
Till death do us part
What's in a name?
Shame and regret
Getting rid of the kids
Once wild, forever wild
Something special in the air
Weathering the storm
Good and evil
Hey, Mr. Sandman
Animals age, too
In the service of humanity
Where is the soul?
- Translation of: Das Seelenleben der Tiere : Liebe, Trauer, Mitgefühl : erstaunliche Einblicke in eine verborgene Welt. 2016.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 251-262) and index.
- Masson, J. Moussaieff (Jeffrey Moussaieff), 1941- writer of foreword.
Billinghurst, Jane, 1958- translator.
David Suzuki Institute, publisher.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|