[Tunnel book depicting a promenade on the Champs-Élysées] [graphic].
- [Place not identified : publisher not identified, not before 1836]
- 3D object
1 tunnel book (5 prints) : hand-colored etchings ; 13 x 19 x 51 cm, folded to 13 x 19 x 1 cm.
- Tunnel books -- Specimens.
Toy and movable books -- Specimens.
Champs-Elysées (Paris, France) -- Pictorial works.
- Toy books -- 19th century.
- Color-illustrated tunnel book depicting men and women riding on horseback, driving in carriages, and walking on foot down the Champs-Élysées toward the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Terminus post quem for publication from depiction of the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile as complete (as opposed to the unfinished version in Optique no. 4 Promenade de Longchamp, ca. 1827. Cf. R. Hyde, Paper peepshows, cat. 24).
Five leaves of hand-colored etchings on paper, four with cut-outs and two without (the latter two mounted back-to-back), bound together with two accordion-folded paper strips at head and foot of each etching. The work may be viewed through three openings (a central square flanked by two circles) in front cover or through one circular opening in back cover. On front cover is mounted a hand-colored etching of two mounted male military figures and several walking male and female figures on the Champs-Élysées between the Chevaux de Marly; on back cover, a hand-colored etching of several male and female figures in an unidentified park-like setting (possibly the Place de la Porte Maillot).
- Local notes:
- RBC copy is gift of Alan and Lois Fern, 2016.
- Penn Provenance:
- Fern, Alan Maxwell, 1930- (donor) (RBC copy)
Fern, Lois, 1934- (donor) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- 1836 (not before)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|