Outliers and American vanguard art / Lynne Cooke with Douglas Crimp, Darby English, Suzanne Hudson, Thomas J. Lax, Jennifer Jane Marshall, Richard Meyer, Jenni Sorkin.
- Washington : National Gallery of Art ; Chicago : The University of Chicago Press, 
- Government document
xv, 396 pages : illustrations (mostly color) ; 32 cm
- Outsider art -- United States -- Exhibitions.
Art, American -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Art, American -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.
Folk art -- United States -- History -- Exhibitions.
Art and society -- United States -- History -- Exhibitions.
Art and society
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Some 250 works explore three distinct periods in American history when mainstream and outlier artists intersected, ushering in new paradigms based on inclusion, integration, and assimilation. The exhibition aligns work by such diverse artists as Charles Sheeler, Christina Ramberg, and Matt Mullican with both historic folk art and works by self-taught artists ranging from Horace Pippin to Janet Sobel and Joseph Yoakum. It also examines a recent influx of radically expressive work made on the margins that redefined the boundaries of the mainstream art world, while challenging the very categories of "outsider" and "self-taught." Historicizing the shifting identity and role of this distinctly American version of modernism's "other," the exhibition probes assumptions about creativity, artistic practice, and the role of the artist in contemporary culture. The exhibition is curated by Lynne Cooke, senior curator, special projects in modern art, National Gallery of Art.--Provided by publisher.
- Director's foreword / Earl A. Powell III
Lenders to the exhibition
Note to the reader
Boundary trouble : Navigating margin and mainstream / Lynne Cooke
Modernism's war on terror / Darby English
How to make a modern primitive / Richard Meyer
Find-and-seek : Discovery narratives, Americanization, and other tales of genius in modern American folk art / Jennifer Jane Marshall
Black folk art redux : A curatorial roundtable / Lynne Cooke, John Beardsley, Katherine Jentleson. Faheem Majeed
Museums, oh museums / Thomas J. Lax
Affinities in abstraction : Textiles, otherness, paintings in the 1970's / Jenni Sorkin
Archives of femininity / Douglas Crimp
Personal voyages / Suzanne Hudson
Plates : c.1924 to 1943 : Folk aesthetics refigured
c.1968 to 1992 : Commensurables and incommensurables
c.1998 to 2013 : Determining difference differently
Checklist of the exhibition
- "The exhibition is organized by the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Exhibition dates: National Gallery of Art, Washington, January 28-May 13, 2018; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, June 24-September 30, 2018; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, November 18, 2018 - March 18, 2019"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Perkins Architectural Rare Book Fund.
- Crimp, Douglas, author.
English, Darby, 1974- author.
Hudson, Suzanne Perling, 1977- author.
Lax, Thomas J., author.
Marshall, Jennifer Jane, author.
Meyer, Richard, 1966- author.
Sorkin, Jenni, author.
National Gallery of Art (U.S.), organizer, publisher.
High Museum of Art, host institution.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art, host institution.
University of Chicago. Press. publisher.
Perkins Architectural Rare Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|