A Day-by-Day Chronicle of the 2013-2016 Ebola Outbreak [electronic resource] / by Stephan Gregory Bullard.
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2018.
1 online resource (XIII, 332 pages 5 illus)
Medicine -- History.
- Local subjects:
- Medicine & Public Health. (search)
Infectious Diseases. (search)
History of Medicine. (search)
Popular Science in Medicine and Health. (search)
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- This powerful history describes the daily progression of the Ebola outbreak that swept across West Africa and struck Europe and America from December 2013 to June 2016. A case study on a massive scale, it follows the narratives of numerous patients as well as the journey of physicians and scientists from discovery to action and from tracking to containment. The unfolding story reveals ever-shifting complexities such as the varied paths the infection took from country to country, the multiple responses of community members, and the occurrence of flare-ups when the outbreak was seemingly over. The book’s finely-documented present-tense reporting records key facts, events, and observations, including: Routes of Ebola transmission, incubation, symptoms, short- and long-term effects on survivors Early attempts to understand and contain the virus and curb practices contributing to its spread Medical, governmental, and public responses, from local education programs to global efforts Communication and conflict between healthcare workers and communities Social and economic outcomes of Ebola in the affected nations Ebola remains incurable, although a vaccine is now available. For members of the medical community, public health officials, medical historians, scholarly professionals, and interested laypeople, A Day-by-Day Chronicle of the 2013-2016 Ebola Outbreak makes starkly clear what we can learn from these events not only for future outbreaks of Ebola, but also for the emergence of as-yet unknown diseases.
History of Ebola
Clinical Features of Ebola
Phase I: Initial Outbreak Period (December 2013 - May 14, 2014)
Phase II: Major Outbreak Period (May 15, 2014 - March 5, 2015).-Phase III: Lingering Outbreak Period (March 6, 2015 - Jan 14, 2016)
Outbreak Conclusion and Summary
- SpringerLink (Online service)
- Contained In:
- Springer eBooks
- Other format:
- Printed edition:
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/978-3-319-76565-5 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|