US-China competition and the South China Sea disputes / edited by Huiyun Feng and Kai He.
- Other Title:
- United States-China competition and the South China Sea disputes
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2018. , Â©2018
- Politics in Asia series.
Politics in Asia series
xvi, 192 pages ; 24 cm.
- South China Sea -- International status.
United States -- Foreign relations -- China.
China -- Foreign relations -- United States.
Territorial waters -- South China Sea Region.
- Traditionally, the South China Sea (SCS) issue was not on the negotiation table between the United States and China. However, the tensions between the United States and China over the SCS have gradually simmered up to a strategic level. Why and how did the SCS become a flashpoint between the United States and China? Will the United States and China really go to war over the SCS? Why did China adopt an "assertive" policy towards the South China Sea in the 2000s? What will regional actors do in the face of this "new normal" of competition between China and the United States? Will multilateral institutions in the Asia Pacific alleviate the potential conflicts over the SCS disputes? How will US-Chinese competition in the SCS shape the dynamics of Asian security? This edited book addresses these questions systematically and theoretically, with contributions from leading scholars in the field of US-China relations and Asian security from the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Singapore. It elevates the analysis of the SCS disputes from maritime and legal issues to the strategic level between the United States and China.
- Battlefield or playground? : the rising tensions between the United States and China in the South China Sea / Huiyun Feng and Kai He
The bargaining dilemma between the United States and China in the South China Sea / Huiyun Feng and Kai He
The geography of conflict : South China Sea and US-China rivalry / Andrew Scobell
Chinese thinking on the South China Sea and the future of regional security / Feng Zhang
India's responses to US-China rivalry in the South China Sea / Ian Hall
Japan and the South China Sea disputes : emerging power politics and fake liberalism / Christopher W. Hughes
The South China Sea as symptom of Asia's dynamic security order / Nick Bisley
When giants vie : China-US competition, institutional balancing, and East Asian multilateralism / See Seng Tan
East Asia's institutional inadequacies and great power rivalry in the South China Sea / Mark Beeson
Security regionalism : a new form of strategic competition or cooperation between the United States and China in the South China Sea? / Baogang He
Looking to the future : hypotheses on China's maritime disputes and US-China relations / Steve Chan.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
- Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
Feng, Huiyun, 1971- editor.
He, Kai, 1973- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|