Care across distance : ethnographic explorations of aging and migration / edited by Azra Hromadžić and Monika Palmberger.
- New York : Berghahn, 2018. , ©2018
- Life course, culture and aging ; v. 4.
Life course: culture and aging: global transformations ; volume 4
vi, 183 pages ; 24 cm.
- Older people -- Social conditions -- Case studies.
Older people -- Care -- Social aspects -- Case studies.
Aging -- Social aspects -- Case studies.
Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects -- Case studies.
Immigrant families -- Case studies.
Aging -- Social aspects.
Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects.
Older people -- Social conditions.
- Case studies.
- World-wide migration has an unsettling effect on social structures, especially on aging populations and eldercare. This volume investigates how taken-for-granted roles are challenged, intergenerational relationships transformed, economic ties recalibrated, technological innovations utilized, and spiritual relations pursued and desired, and asks what it means to care at a distance and to age abroad. What it does show is that trans-nationalization of care produces unprecedented convergences of people, objects and spaces that challenge our assumptions about the who, how, and where of care.
- Introduction : care across distance / Monika Palmberger and Azra Hromadzic
Recalibrating care : newly resettled Nepali-Bhutanese refugees in Upstate New York / Retika Desai
Healthy aging, middle-classiness, and transnational care between Tanzania and the United States / Andrea Patricia Kaiser-Grolimund
Intergenerational relationships and emergent notions of reciprocity, dependency : caregiving, and aging in Tuareg migration / Susan Rasmussen
"Old people's homes", filial piety, and transnational families : change and continuity in elderly care in the Tibetan settlements in India / Namgyal Choedup
Social embeddedness and care among Turkish labor migrants in Vienna : the role of migrant associations / Monika Palmberger
Migrants of privilege : American retirees and the imaginaries of Ecuadorian care work / Ann Miles
Some limits of caring at a distance : aging and transnational care arrangements between Suriname and the Netherlands / Yvon Van der Pijl
"Where were they until now?" : aging, care and abandonment in a Bosnian town / Azra Hromadzic
Epilogue / Sarah Lamb.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
- Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
Hromadžić, Azra, editor.
Palmberger, Monika, 1977- editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Care across distance.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|