Making borders in modern East Asia : the Tumen River demarcation, 1881-1919 / Nianshen Song.
- Other Title:
- Tumen River demarcation, 1881-1919
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
xix, 303 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- China -- Boundaries -- Korea.
Korea -- Boundaries -- China.
China -- Foreign relations -- Korea.
Korea -- Foreign relations -- China.
China -- Foreign relations -- Japan.
Japan -- Foreign relations -- China.
Tumen River -- History.
Asia -- Tumen River
- "Making Borders in Modern East Asia Until the late nineteenth century, the Chinese-Korean Tumen River border was one of the oldest, and perhaps most stable, state boundaries in the world. Spurred by severe food scarcity following a succession of natural disasters, from the 1860s countless Korean refugees crossed the Tumen river border into Qing-China's Manchuria, triggering a decades-long territorial dispute between China, Korea, and Japan. This major new study of a multilateral and multiethnic frontier highlights the competing state- and nation-building projects in the fraught period that witnessed the Sino-Japanese war, the Russo-Japanese War, and the First World War. The power-plays over land and people simultaneously promoted China's frontier-building endeavours, motivated Korea's nationalist imagination, and stimulated Japan's colonialist enterprise, setting East Asia on an intricate trajectory from the late-imperial to a situation that, Song argues, we call modern"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction : a lost stele and a multivocal river
Crossing the boundary : socioecology of the Tumen River region
Dynastic geography : demarcation as rhetoric
Making 'kando' : the mobility of a cross-border society
Taming the frontier : statecraft and international law
Boundary redefined : a multilayered competition
People redefined : identity politics in Yanbian
Conclusion : our land, our people
Epilogue : Tumen River, the film.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 273-291) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|