Kolyma stories / Varlam Shalamov ; translated from the Russian and with an introduction by Donald Rayfield.
- Standardized Title:
- Kolymskie rasskazy. English
- New York : New York Review Books, 2018-2020.
- New York Review Books classics.
New York Review Books classics
6 volumes in 2 ; 20 cm.
- Political prisoners -- Soviet Union -- Fiction.
LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES -- Linguistics.
Kolyma (Concentration camp) -- Fiction.
Kolyma (Concentration camp)
- Short stories.
- In English, translated from Russian.
- "Kolyma Stories is a masterpiece of twentieth-century literature, an epic array of short fictional tales reflecting the fifteen year that Varlam Shalamov spent in the Soviet Gulag. This is the first of two volumes (the second the appear in 2019) that together will constitute the first complete English translation of Shalamov's stories and the only one to be based on the authorized Russian text. Shalamov spent six years as a slave in the gold mines of Kolyma before finding a less intolerable life as a paramedic in the prison camps. He began writing his account of life in Kolyma after Stalin's death in 1953. His stories are at once the biography a rare survivor, a historical record of the Gulag, and literary work of unparalleled creative power, insight, and conviction"--Page 4 of cover.
- book 1. Kolyma stories
book 2. The left bank
book 3. The spade artist
book 4. Sketches of the criminal world
book 5. The resurrection of the larch
book 6. The glove, or Kolyma stories.
- "Originally published in Russian in Sobranie sochineniĭ v 6 + I tomakh (Collector Works, vols. 1-7) by TERRA-Kniznyĭ klub in 2013"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 735-741).
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
- Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
Rayfield, Donald, 1942- translator, writer of introduction.
- Other format:
- Online version: Shalamov, Varlam. Kolyma stories.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|