The Holy Name : art of the Gesù : Bernini and his age / edited by Linda Wolk-Simon, with the collaboration of Christopher M.S. Johns ; essays by Gauvin Alexander Bailey, Andrew Horn, Christopher M.S. Johns, Evonne Levy, Franco Mormando, John W. O'Malley, S.J., Louise Rice, Betsy Rosasco, Xavier F. Salomon, John Beldon Scott, Linda Wolk-Simon.
- Phliadelphia : Saint Joseph's University Press, 
- Early modern Catholicism and the visual arts series ; v. 17.
Early modern Catholicism and the visual arts ; vol. 17
xv, 639 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 27 cm.
- Italy -- Rome.
Chiesa del Gesù (Rome, Italy) -- Exhibitions.
Chiesa del Gesù (Rome, Italy)
Christian art and symbolism -- Italy -- Rome -- Modern period, 1500- -- Exhibitions.
Jesuit art -- Exhibitions.
Art, Baroque -- Italy -- Rome -- Exhibitions.
Art, Italian -- Italy -- Rome -- Exhibitions.
Christian art and symbolism -- Modern period.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- This landmark exhibition, organized to commemorate Fairfield University's 75th anniversary, features artistic treasures from the Roman church of the Gesù never before seen in America: Bernini's bust of Roberto Bellarmino (patron saint of Fairfield University), Gaulli's monumental painted wood model of the apse, a gilt bronze altar sculpture by the versatile painter, draftsman and sculptor Ciro Ferri, the sumptuous jeweled cartegloria from the altar of St. Ignatius, and the magnificent embroidered chasuble of the church's great benefactor, Cardinal Alessandro Farnese. These masterpieces are joined by more than fifty paintings, sculptures, rare books, precious objects, drawings, prints, and historical documents by Bernini, Domenichino, Gaulli, Ciro Ferri, Carlo Maratti, and Andrea Pozzo, among other Italian Baroque masters, on loan from American museums and private collections. Exhibition: The Fairfield University Art Museum, USA (02.02.-19.05.2018).
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 545-578) and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
Wolk-Simon, Linda, editor.
Fairfield University, organizer, host institution.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|