...y no se lo tragó la tierra [electronic resource] / Tomás Rivera = ...and the earth did not devour him / Tomás Rivera ; English translation by Evangelina Vigil-Piñón.
- Other Title:
- ...And the earth did not devour him
Digitalia eBook Collection: Arte Público Press.
- Houston, Texas : Arte Público Press, 
1 online resource.
- Migrant labor -- Fiction.
Migrant agricultural laborers -- Texas -- Fiction.
Mexican Americans -- Fiction.
- Electronic books.
- "I tell you, God could care less about the poor. Tell me, why must we live here like this? What have we done to deserve this? You're so good and yet you suffer so much," a young boy tells his mother in Tomás Rivera's classic novel about the migrant worker experience. Outside the chicken coop that is their home, his father wails in pain from the unbearable cramps brought on by sunstroke after working in the hot fields. The young boy can't understand his parents' faith in a god that would impose such horrible suffering, poverty and injustice on innocent people.Adapted into the award-winning film ...And the earth did not swallow him and recipient of the first award for Chicano literature, the Premio Quinto Sol, in 1970, Rivera's masterpiece recounts the experiences of a Mexican-American community through the eyes of a young boy. Forced to leave their home in search of work, the migrants are exploited by farmers, shopkeepers, even other Mexican Americans, and the boy must forge his identity in the face of exploitation, death and disease, constant moving and conflicts with school officials.In this new edition of a powerful novel comprised of short vignettes, Rivera writes hauntingly about alienation, love and betrayal, man and nature, death and resurrection and the search for community.
- Online resource; title from PDF title page (Digitalia, viewed March 30, 2017).
- Vigil-Piñón, Evangelina, translator.
Digitalia (Firm), distributor.
- Container of: Rivera, Tomás, 1935-1984. Y no se lo tragó la tierra.
Container of: Rivera, Tomás, 1935-1984. Y no se lo tragó la tierra. English (Vigil-Piñón)
- Other format:
- Print version: Rivera, Tomás, 1935-1984. --y no se lo tragó la tierra.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|