Humanitarian intervention in the long nineteenth century [electronic resource] : setting the precedent / Alexia Heraclides and Ada Dialla.
- Other records:
- Other Title:
- Knowledge Unlatched.
- Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2015.
- Humanitarianism : key debates and new approaches
1 online resource (xi, 253 pages)
- Humanitarian intervention -- History -- 19th century.
Humanitarian intervention -- Case studies.
- This book is a comprehensive presentation of humanitarian intervention in theory and practice during the course of the nineteenth century. Through four case studies, it sheds new light on the international law debate and the political theory on intervention, linking them to ongoing issues, and paying particular attention to the lesser known Russian dimension. The book begins by tracing the genealogy of the idea of humanitarian intervention to the Renaissance, evaluating the Eurocentric gaze of the civilisation-barbarity dichotomy, and elucidates the international legal arguments of both advocates and opponents of intervention, as well as the views of major political theorists. It then goes on to examine four cases as humanitarian interventions: the Greek War of Independence (1821-31), the Lebanon and Syria (1860-61), the Bulgarian atrocities (1876-78), and the U.S. intervention in Cuba (1895-98).
- Humanitarian intervention today
Theory. Introduction ; The origins of the idea of humanitarian intervention : just war and against tyranny ; Eurocentrism, 'civilization' and the 'barbarians' ; International law and humanitarian intervention ; Intervention and non-intervention in international political theory
Practice. Introduction ; Intervention in the Greek War of Independence, 1821-32 ; Intervention in Lebanon and Syria, 1860-61 ; The Bulgarian atrocities : a bird's eye view of intervention with emphasis on Britain, 1875-78 ; The Balkan crisis of 1875-78 and Russia : between humanitarianism and pragmatism ; The US and Cuba, 1895-98
- OCLC-licensed vendor bibliographic record.
- Local notes:
- Knowledge Unlatched KU Select 2016 Backlist Collection
- Dialla, Ada, author.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|