Local portraiture [electronic resource] : through the lens of 19th-century Iranian photographers / Carmen Pérez González.
- Other Title:
- Knowledge Unlatched.
- Leiden : Leiden University Press, 
- Iranian Studies Series
1 online resource (328 pages) : facsimiles, illustrations (some color), portraits (some color)
- Portrait photography -- Iran -- History -- 19th century.
Iran -- Biography -- Portraits.
- Photography is clearly not a mirror of daily life: that images are constructions is especially obvious in19th-century studio portrait photography. This book explores how indigenous Iranian photographers constructed their own realities in contrast to how foreign photographers constructed Iranians' realities. Through an in-depth comparative visual analysis of 19th-century Iranian portrait photography and Persian painting, the author arrives at the insight that aesthetic preferences correlate with socio-cultural habits and practices in writing, reading and looking. Subsequently, she advocates for a place in a global history of photography for those unknown, local photo histories (such as the Iranian one) and for the indigenous photographers who produced them.
- Visual literacy : the relationship between the direction of writing and composition
The written image : text and photography
Pose, gesture and objects held by the sitter
Arrangement of space
Interactions between Western and Iranian photography.
- OCLC-licensed vendor bibliographic record.
- Local notes:
- Knowledge Unlatched KU Select 2016 Backlist Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|