Irreverent Persia [electronic resource] : invective, satirical and burlesque poetry from the origins to the timurid period (10th to 15th century) / Riccardo Zipoli.
- Other Title:
- Knowledge Unlatched.
- [Leiden, Netherlands] : Leiden University Press, 
- Iranian Studies Series
1 online resource (229 pages)
- Persian poetry -- History and criticism.
Middle Eastern literature -- History and criticism.
Literature and history -- Middle East.
- Poetry expressing criticism of social, political and cultural life is a vital integral part of Persian literary history. Its principal genres - invective, satire and burlesque - have been very popular with authors in every age. Despite the rich uninterrupted tradition, such texts have been little studied and rarely translated. Their irreverent tones range from subtle irony to crude direct insults, at times involving the use of outrageous and obscene terms. This anthology includes both major and minor poets from the origins of Persian poetry (10th century) up to the age of Jami (15th century), traditionally considered the last great classical Persian poet.
- Notes on Transliteration System, Dates and Biographical Information; Acknowledgements; Introduction; The Genre of Hajv ('Satire', 'Mockery', 'Verbal Aggression'); The Genre of Hazl ('Witticism', 'Facetiae', 'Bawdy Poetry'); Historical Background; Poetic Forms; Tradition of Studies; Authors and Texts; Chapter 1. Invective Poetry; Physical Images; Actions Involving the Victims of Satire; Imprecatory Poetry; Composite Poetry; Chapter 2. Satirical Poetry; Patrons and Ruling Classes; Poets; Court Milieu; Religious Context; Women as Habitual Subject for Satire.
Satirising Members of a FamilyPeoples and Towns; Addressees with no Social Labels; Behaviour and Customs; Chapter 3. Burlesque Poetry; Form and Content; Replies to Poems; Biographies of the Poets; Glossary of Key Literary Terms; Notes; Introduction; Chapter 1
Invective Poetry; Chapter 2
Satirical Poetry; Chapter 3
Burlesque Poetry; Biographies of the Poets; Bibliography; Index of Names, Places and Works.
- OCLC-licensed vendor bibliographic record.
- Local notes:
- Knowledge Unlatched KU Select 2017 : Back list Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|